Want to measure your team’s health? Try this! 👇
If you’re wondering what is your team’s climate – you have the feeling it’s good and your team’s going places but you’re not sure if that’s the case for every team member, here is a 5-step guide to check how healthy is your team!
Amy Edmondson introduces the world to the term “team psychological safety” and defines it as “a shared belief held by members of a team that the team is safe for interpersonal risk-taking.”
A high level of team psychological safety is relevant to highly effective teams. And so, we offer you an instrument to measure the psychological safety level of your team!
1️⃣ Send the following statements to your team members:
- If you make a mistake on this team, it is often held against you.
- Members of this team are able to bring up problems and tough issues.
- People on this team sometimes reject others for being different.
- It is safe to take a risk on this team.
- It is difficult to ask other members of this team for help.
- No one on this team would deliberately act in a way that undermines my efforts.
- Working with members of this team, my unique skills and talents are valued and utilized.
2️⃣ Let every team member fill in how strongly they agree or disagree with the statements – you can use the numbers from 1-6 for the purpose. Remember, it’s OK for your team members to take the questionnaire anonymously!
1 – Strongly Disagree
2 – Disagree
3 – Slightly Disagree
4 – Slightly Agree
5 – Agree
6 – Strongly Agree
3️⃣ Collect the answers.
4️⃣ Gather the team.
5️⃣ Discuss the results TOGETHER in a team meeting with all members of the team.
The statements accompanied by the answers are a good starting point to understand where your team stands in terms of team climate:
Whether you have high or low psychological safety?
How do the individual members feel in this team environment?
Whether people feel safe to speak up – express ideas, ask questions and admit their mistakes?
If you want to know more about psychological safety and how to build trust in your team, check out The Fearless Organization
Want to improve your soft skills? Just subscribe below for “A Dose of Soft Skills” 🤗